The Village of Northfield is nestled just beyond the bustling energy of Chicago in the North Shore. It is perfect for discerning families who value their privacy and a laid-back lifestyle. Living in Northfield is comfortable by nature and connected by choice, so you can have what you want in life and still be yourself.
The Village is a home-rule municipality governed by a President and six Trustees, also known as the Village Board, elected at large for four-year terms. The President serves as the chief elected official and presides at all Village Board meetings and ceremonial occasions. The President also appoints non-elected Village officials with the approval of the Village Board. The Village Board formulates policy and enacts local laws, usually in the form of resolutions and ordinances. The Village Board is directly responsible to the citizens of Northfield.
Demographics & Geography
- Population of 5,634
- 2,407 Housing units
- Race is 88.6% white, 11.4% other
- Median household income of $143,661
- Median home value of $699,600
- Area of 3.23 square miles
- Incorporated in 1926
- Located in Cook County, New Trier, and Northfield Townships
- Adjacent to the Eden’s expressway
- 20 miles to the Chicago Loop
- 14 miles to O’Hare International Airport